Pre-fab removal makes way for new project
Friday, 30th September 2022 at 3:12pm
The Ministry of Education has given us a heads up that one of pre-fab buildings onsite will be removed during the October school holidays.
The pre-fab was formerly used as a classroom, but not recently, and contains some asbestos. We understand there is no danger to health. It’s great that the building is being removed quickly, and that the space will be redeveloped to create a covered drop off and pick up area for our students in Te Aratika, a satellite of Oaklynn Special School.
We do however need to let the school community know that the building will be removed from site during the school holidays. We will also be dropping the notification into letterboxes of our neighbours.
The formal notification from the Ministry of Education, which includes dates and contact details for any queries, is below.
Notice of Asbestos Removal Work
As part of a Ministry of Education accessibility building project, a licensed Asbestos Removalist (WorkSafe Class B Licence: number #RB18100132) will be removing a disused prefab classroom which contains some asbestos materials from Green Bay High School.
The removal work will be conducted between the hours of 9am and 5pm on 8/10/2022 and is expected to finish on 15/10/2022. (school holidays week two) This work may need to be rescheduled in the event of bad weather.
The following safety measures will be put in place and maintained for the duration of this project:
- Signs, barriers and/or temporary fencing will be installed.
- PVA solution or water will be applied to asbestos containing materials to prevent airborne asbestos fibers dust (as required).
- Asbestos containing materials will not be broken, where possible.
- Plastic will be used to cover horizontal surfaces and surrounds.
- Asbestos containing material will be wrapped on site and disposed of at an approved tip site
- Air monitoring at the work site boundary will be in place for the duration of the work. If asbestos fibers above the allowable safe limit are detected, work will cease immediately and corrective measures applied
- An independent party will carry out an inspection of the site on completion of the work, and issue a clearance certificate.
The Ministry of Education website has further information about the management of asbestos and procedures to ensure the safety of all involved in or affected by the work, at the school and community. This can be found HERE
Additional information about asbestos removal and/or Asbestos Removal Licences can be found on WorkSafe NZ’s website http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe or by phoning 0800 030 040 (24 hours).
If you have any questions or concerns about this removal work, please feel to contact SAMRS 021 488 732, email: [email protected]