Building Positive Relationships Across Our School Community
What is PB4L? PB4L stands for Positive Behaviour for Learning. It is a system for managing (responding to) behaviour based on positive approaches to build and maintain relationships.
Evidence shows that students respond better to this style of behaviour management as it provides opportunities to support long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour and, in turn, achievement.
Why we choose to be a PB4L school:
PB4L is evidence based and links strongly to our pre-existing values. Many of our feeder schools also use the PB4L framework, and that connection creates consistency for our students in their transition from Primary, to Intermediate, and to Secondary School. We know it works and will benefit our students as there is a strong correlation between the implementation of PB4L and the success of our students; both academically and their holistic well being.
The PB4L Journey at Green Bay High School:
We decided to become a PB4L school in 2014 when a few staff attended training on how to implement the program at GBHS. We have since developed our student acknowledgemet system and reviewed our Behaviour Response System. Explicit teaching of our school values is now starting to be embedded and is a fundamental part of our Behaviour Response System.
Where Will I See PB4L?:
IN THE CLASSROOM
- PB4L is shown through the interactions staff have with our students
- PB4L promotes positive behaviours in the class through explicit teaching of the expected behaviours in relation to our school values
- Discussions are held in a restorative manner when expectations are not met
- Staff use our positive acknowledgement system by awarding GBTs (Good Behaviour Tags) and Praise Postcards to students who demonstrate expected behaviours
STUDENT TEAM & SHOP
- The Green Bay High School PB4L team not only includes staff, but there is a huge role that our students can play in the team
- The student driven PB4L team meets regularly to discuss ideas within three sub-committees: 1) Fundraising - to stock the PB4L Shop 2) The PB4L Shop - where students trade GBTs for prizes 3) Promotions - increase awareness of PB4L using student voice
IN THE SCHOOL GROUNDS
- PB4L is school wide and does not end when the students leave the classroom
- At break times, teachers wera hi-vis vests while out on active supervision
- PB4L can also be seen through our Kakariki Code which clearly outlines the expected behaviours in each specific area of the school for the whole GBHS community
- Students can points through achieving GBTs and Praise Postcards, and these will led towards our Te Angitū Ngātahi badges, which will be introduced school wide in 2023!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW DOES PB4L BENEFIT THE STUDENTS AND STAFF?
- Positive behaviour is necessary for improving the engagement and achievement of our students
- By explicitly teaching our expectations and acknowledging students when they demonstrate these, students can learn to positively adapt their behaviour
- It provides student leadership opportunities through the PB4L Student Team
- PB4L provides staff with a consistent framework to enable them to build and maintain positive relationships
HOW DID WE COME UP WITH THE SCHOOL VALUES?
- It was a facilitated consultative process between the board and the school community.
- The values reflect our school aspirations and what we believe are most important to create an effective learner and member of the community
WHAT DOES THE IDEAL GBHS STUDENT LOOK LIKE?
- They will embody the school values of Excellence, Respect, Courage, Responsivenesss in all areas of school life
- They will engage effectively in positive and constructive relationships with others