Performing & Visual Arts encourages students to express feeling, emotion, and opinion
- Creativity - one of the top five skills employers prize for the 21st Century. The Arts encourage students to think on their feet and approach tasks from different perspectives.
- Confidence - performance gives students practise stepping out of their comfort zone and allows them to make mistakes and learn from them in rehearsals. This process gives students confidence to perform in front of large audiences.
- Problem Solving - the arts develop reasoning skills that prepare students to solve problems. Students who study the Arts are more likely to approach problems with patience and persistence.
- Perseverance - Arts education develops students’ capacity to persist in the face of a challenge. Through Art study, students improve their ability to overcome difficulty in completing complex tasks and sustain attention.
- Reflection - feedback and reflection is a constant part of the learning process and is a means to challenge themselves to push beyond what they think they are capable of doing.
- Collaboration - in the Arts students learn to articulate their intentions, receive and offer criticism as well as listen to others ideas.
- Critical Thinking - an Arts education develops students’ critical thinking skills, including skills for comparing, hypothesizing, critiquing and exploring multiple and alternative viewpoints.
- Our beautiful Performing Arts Centre is not only available to our students but can also be hired by the public. It is the perfect space for performances or presentations.
- Our theatre boasts a 14m x 9m sprung floor stage and seats 330 people with uninterrupted views.
- With an extra large projector screen, high quality lighting rig and sound system, we are very fortunate to offer such an amazing learning/performance space to our students and community.
- Our department has modern and very well resourced teaching spaces with light filled classrooms situated at the front of the school.
- Two large computer suites for our increasingly popular digital art courses.
- A professional studio photography lighting space.
- A large darkroom in which our students learn the magic of black and white photography.
“Arts learning taps into students imagination, creative instincts and self-worth in ways that other lessons do not.” - The TALE Project
Manaakitanga Awards in the Performing Arts at GBHS are presented to a senior student in each discipline who nurtures a culture that values caring and respect and provides the foundation for success for all students.
Click on the images below to explore some of the wonderful and inspired creations in celebration of our Visual Arts Scholarship recipents and Performing Arts Manaakitanga awardees.